Saturday, September 19, 2009

Arrests avert clash among Indonesians

By V. Shuman

KUALA LUMPUR: Police may have averted a clash between Indonesian immigrants from Madura and Flores with the arrest of 56 men and the seizure of 200 home-made weapons.

Brickfields police chief Assistant Commissioner Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid said the Indonesians, all illegals, had been rounded up in four separate operations at 'kongsi' settlements in the district, recently.

"The suspects have been handed to the Immigration Department for further action," said Bari.

Among the weapons seized were swords that were hidden in PVC pipes, knives and machetes that had been carved out of steel sheets, knuckle-dusters and nunchucks (two wooden sticks connected with a chain).

Bari said all the men arrested were construction workers.

"They were capable of making the weapons from steel taken from doors and even rubbish bins."

Immigrants from the Madura and Flores clans are known to have clashed on several occasions here.

Bari said the operations were conducted following the discovery of an assortment of weapons, including plastic explosives and detonators, at an illegal settlement in Bukit Kiara View in Sri Hartamas on Aug 21.

Three suspects, including a woman, were picked up during the raid but were eventually freed.

The four operations -- the latest of which was on Tuesday, involved police and Rela personnel. - NST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...